CSCA Past Events
Steve Komine, longtime CSCA supporter, benefactor and past president of Jupitor Corporation, passed away recently. He will sorely be missed. RIP.
II. On Dec. 5, 2021, CSCA held a celebration of its 30 year relation with Sister City Karlovy Vary, Czech Republic.
It featured Czech Dancers, Music, a toast with Karlovy Vary’s own Becherovka, slides of Karlovy Vary’s Festive Openings of the past. Complimentary hand-painted Czech commemorative egg ornaments were gifted. A statue crafted by our own Laurenn Barke,r to be gifted to Karlovy Vary, was unveiled and presented at the celebration.
V. A Celebration of Peace!
Carlsbad joined with its Japanese Sister City of Futtsu, Japan via Zoom for a brief bell-ringing (75 rings) on August 5, 2020 at 4:15 PM our time.
This was to commemorate 75 years of peace since the atomic bomb fell on Hiroshima, Japan.
This brief ceremony began with photos of the beautiful Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park, brief words from friends and officials and then ours and their bell ringing.
The entire commemoration took about 25 minutes.
Promoting peace through mutual respect, understanding and cooperation - one individual, one community at a time,
Tom Hersant, President
Carlsbad Sister City Ambassadors
VI. SoCal Sister Cities were welcomed to the home of the new Consulate-General of Japan in Los Angeles.
CSCA President Tom Hersant attends the installation celebration of the new Los Angeles Japan Consul General Akira Muto. Regarding sister cities, the new Consul General mentioned to Tom, "...what you do is close to my heart. I consider citizen homestays and visits the bed rock of diplomacy. Just remember if you ever need us, I have your back!"
VII. Fresh off their visit to our sister city Futtsu, Japan and surrounding areas this summer, Carlsbad Youth Ambassadors made presentations to the City Council relating their experience.
VIII. CSCA sponsored a second art exchange with our sister city Karlovy Vary at the COAL gallery.
X. CSCA had a great time celebrating its 30 Year Anniversary association with Futtsu, Japan.
- Tammy, Dianne, Maddy, and Nancy welcome guests to The Crossings.
- Steve Komine and CSCA friend Kiyoko Messenger at The Crossings.
- CSCA director Polly Yu welcomes Steve Komine and Jupitor USA president, Shingo Kitamura at The Crossings.
- Yumiko Ayabe, Vice President of Futtsu International Relationship Association
- Futtsu exchange students.
- Rick Shea, SD County Office of Education addresses attendees.
- Current Jupitor Corp president Shingo Kitamura.
- Former Jupitor Corp president Steve Komine.
- Futtsu Vice Mayor Yoshiyuki Koizumi .
- Futtsu Vice Mayor Yoshiyuki Koizumi and Carlsbad Mayor Hall.
- Sage Creek HS students being introduced.
- Sage Creek students at Peder Norby reception.
- Yoshiyuki Koizumi, Futtsu Vice Mayor with Ken-ichi Kawana, President, Futtsu International Relationship Association
- Our gracious and generous host, Peder Norby
- Master chef and host Peder Norby made pizza for the delegation.
- CSCA director Dianne O'Connell enjoys the mariachi music along with Heron House wine.
- CSCA director Nancy Klaphaak pauses and ponders...
- Steve Komine inspects Peder Norby's wood fired pizza oven.
- Futtsu delegates sampling Peder's wood-fired pizza.
- Great south of the border melodies from mariachi.
- One of the mariachis lead singers.
- CSCA director Bill IIshi directed his troupe in song and dance entertainment.
- Mayor Matt Hall offers words of welcome to delegation visitors.
- Polly Yu, Tammy, and former CSCA director Bonnie Dominguez.
- Carlsbad Mayor Matt Hall and Futtsu Vice Mayor, Yoshiyuki Koizumi with gifts exchange.
- Carlsbad Mayor Matt Hall with Futtsu Vice Mayor Yoshiyuki Koizumi and Akira Chiba , LA Consul General of Japan.
- Futtsu delegation meets with Mayor Hall in Council Chambers.
- Carlsbad Mayor Matt Hall with Akira Chiba, Consul General of Japan of Los Angeles.
- Carlsbad Mayor Matt Hall with Akira Chiba, Consul General of Japan of Los Angeles.
XII. CSCA and COAL sponsored an art exhibit in sister city Karlovy Vary,Czech Republic, May 4, 2018 for our talented local artists:
- K V’s Castle Tower hosted a vernissage held for Carlsbad artists Rita Shulak, Alan Hayes, Ruth Parker, and Janet Lee.
- The exhibition and vernissage, hosted by K V’s Municipal Gallery, was held in the historic Castle Tower until July 15, 2018.
- Alan Haynes’ interest is photography. These pieces are from his “Abandoned and Forgotten” series.
- Carlsbad artist Janet Lee specializes primarily in engraving and etching with aquatint.
- Ruth Parker began her career studying acrylic and oil medium but later became enchanted with water color.
- Mayor Hall presenting the City of Carlsbad’s Certificate of Recognition to Rita Shulak.
- Carlsbad artist Rita Shulak, shown here with Phyllis and Mayor Hall, and Tonya and Tom Hersant holds flowers given her.
- Culinary art was also on full display at the Saturday luncheon for sister city mayors and ambassadors.
- Rita Shulak being congratulated by Karlovy Vary Lord Mayor Petr Kulhanek.
- Tom Hersant and Karlovy Vary artist Jan Samec share a lighter moment.
- Karlovy Vary Lord Mayor Petr Kulhanek welcomes COAL and KV artists to the Chateau Tower exhibit.
XIII. Making new friends. Memories that last a lifetime! An essential part of the Carlsbad community.
- CSCA President Tom Hersant's visit to KV, May 2009 Baden Baden Burgermeister at the Mill Colonnade.
- CSCA President Tom Hersant's visit to KV, May 2009 The famous Becherovka Bottle Shop in Karlovy Vary.
- CSCA President Tom Hersant's visit to KV, May 2009 Costumed for the Open Breakfast.
- CSCA President Tom Hersant's visit to KV, May 2009 Delegation Dinner staff at the Thermal
- CSCA President Tom Hersant's visit to KV, May 2009 Dr. Milada Sarova and Tom at the Mill Colonnade
- CSCA President Tom Hersant's visit to KV, May 2009 Start of the Festive Breakfast with the Lord Mayor
- Our sister city Futtsu delegation about to tour KPBS studio Futtsu delegation visit, Mar 2015
- They met with CHS students... Futtsu delegation visit, Mar 2015
- ...and enjoyed a campus tour. Futtsu delegation visit, Mar 2015
- Later, lunch at Carlsbad's popular Ruby's Diner Futtsu delegation visit, Mar 2015
- They attended the Carlsbad 5000... Futtsu delegation visit, Mar 2015
- ...and later went to Legoland. Futtsu delegation visit, Mar 2015
- A full day touring San Diego... Futtsu delegation visit, Mar 2015
- ...and exploring Balboa Park Futtsu delegation visit, Mar 2015
- The venue for Karlovy Vary's bi-annual International Film Festival. A group of 6 CSCA Junior Ambassadors attended July 2016
- The Junior's hosts from Karlovy Vary later visited us. KV student delegation visit, Aug 2015
- They arrived Aug/Sept 2015 and first visited the KPBS studios. KV student delegation visit, Aug 2015
- CHS Junior Ambassadors joined the delegation students... KV student delegation visit, Aug 2015
- ...to learn about behind-the-scenes TV production. KV student delegation visit, Aug 2015
- A fun evening at Carlsbad's TGIF concert in the park. KV student delegation visit, Aug 2015
- Our guests spent a long day first at Disneyland... KV student delegation visit, Aug 2015
- ...and later toured Hollywood and Universal Studios. KV student delegation visit, Aug 2015
- A must-see visit to Balboa Park... KV student delegation visit, Aug 2015
- ...along with a tour of the Midway. KV student delegation visit, Aug 2015
- KV students and the Juniors had fun at a typical beach cookout. KV student delegation visit, Aug 2015
- CSCA sponsored a COAL artist exhibit in KV. Carlsbad Artists Exhibit in KV, July 2015
- Carlsbad Artists Exhibit in KV, July 2015 This is an annual exhibit in Karlovy Vary.
- Carlsbad Artists Exhibit in KV, July 2015 COAL artist Lois Athearn was able to join the delegation.
- Carlsbad Artists Exhibit in KV, July 2015 Diane O’Connell shares her art...
- Carlsbad Artists Exhibit in KV, July 2015 ...along with Rita Shulak.
- Carlsbad Artists Exhibit in KV, July 2015 COAL artists Diane O’Connell, Rita Shulak, Ellie Havel Thomas...
- Carlsbad Artists Exhibit in KV, July 2015 ...Lois Athearn, and David Schlegel represented Carlsbad.
- Carlsbad Artists Exhibit in KV, July 2015 KV artists were later to come in 2016 to exhibit their art in Carlsbad.
- CHS students visit Futtsu, June 2016 On arrival, CHS students dine with their Futtsu hosts.
- CHS students visit Futtsu, June 2016 The students were introduced to the Futtsu High student body.
- CHS students visit Futtsu, June 2016 Futtsu students welcomed CHS members.
- CHS students visit Futtsu, June 2016 Futtsu students extended...
- CHS students visit Futtsu, June 2016 ...an enthusisastic welcome to our CHS students.
- CHS students visit Futtsu, June 2016 Participation in their computer lab,...
- CHS students visit Futtsu, June 2016 ...and sharing a typical lunch.
- CHS students visit Futtsu, June 2016 The students exchanged ideas...
- CHS students visit Futtsu, June 2016 ...and even learned the finer points of origami.
- CHS students visit Futtsu, June 2016 A visit to the Futtsu Mother Farms...
- CHS students visit Futtsu, June 2016 ...to see and pet the deer.
- CHS students visit Futtsu, June 2016 A final farewell banquet with our Futtsu hosts.
Recently Mr Susumu Komine, Advisor of Jupitor Corporation USA, visited our City to congratulate CSCA on the 30 year relationship between Carlsbad and Futtsu. Carlsbad Mayor Matt Hall met him today and they shared many fond memory of previous friendship visits between the 2 cities. Also in attendance were CSCA directors Polly Yu and Tom Hersant. In August 2018, the mayor of Futtsu will visit the City of Carlsbad with a group of citizens from Futtsu. This is a great opportunity to showcase our beautiful city of Carlsbad to Futtsu, Japan.
XV. A Rotary Club of Carlsbad fundraising event was held on with Tom and Tonya Hersant, Polly Yu and Phillis Hall representing CSCA.
XVI. In 2017 CSCA sponsored a Spring Tour to Vienna, Budapest and our sister city Karlovy Vary, CZ and was a great success:
XVII. The Laurel Tree Planting and Plaque at McGee Park
In attendance at the planting were: Tom Hersant, President, Carlsbad Sister City Ambassadors, Vesta Rundle-Ross, Sister City Ambassador board member, Diane O'Connell, COAL Artist, Varvara Divisova, Karlovy Vary artist, Lenka Maliska Sarova, Karlovy Vary artist, Lois Athern, COAL artist, Jan Samec, Karlovy Vary artist, Sibylla Voll, COAL artist.
XVIII. Karlovy Vary Artists Feted In Carlsbad:
Last year, artworks of six members of COAL, Diane O'Connell, David Schlegel, Ellie Havel Thomas, Lois Athern, Rita Shulak, and Sibylla Voll were juried and displayed in Karlovy-Vary, Czech Republic, as part of the City of Carlsbad's Sister-City program, This year in June, the COAL Gallery will be hosting artists Vaclav Balsan, Varvara Divisova, Jiri Kozisek, Lenska Maliska Sarova, and Jan Semec from Karlovy-Vary as part of the exchange. COAL hosted the Reception at the Gallery on June 12, 2016. At the reception the Mayor of Carlsbad, dignitaries of the City, and representatives of the Sister Cities program were in attendance.
Carlsbad Artists Feted in Czech Sister City, Karlovy Vary:
An exhibition of art work by six C.O.A.L. member artists selected in February by CSCA opened this week in Karlovy Vary. Honored artists, who each have five works of art on exhibit, are Lois Athearn, Diane O’Connell, David Schlegel, Rita Shulak, Ellie Havel Thomas, and Sibylla Voll. The opening reception in the Municipal Gallery was on July 29, 2016, according to Jacquie Thye, Founding member and Director of Carlsbad Sister City Ambassadors, who coordinated this event. The exhibition of the Carlsbad artists will run through the month of August in Karlovy Vary’s Thermal Building.
Petr Kulhanek, the Honorable Lord Mayor of Karlovy Vary, and two of his deputies, came to visit Carlsbad in 2013. It was at this time he extended an invitation to have an International Art Exchange take place between our two sister cities. Karlovy Vary will reciprocate by sending their artists’ works in June of 2016 to be exhibited in the Carlsbad-Oceanside Art Gallery in Carlsbad.
See a our COAL artists with their works exhibited in Karlovy Vary.
XIX. Six Area Artists Win Honor to Exhibit Their Art in
Carlsbad's Sister City Karlovy Vary, Czech Republic
CARLSBAD – Carlsbad Sister City Ambassadors (CSCA) have announced the results of choosing six members of C.O.A.L. Gallery (Carlsbad-Oceanside Art League) to exhibit five art works each in Karlovy Vary, Czech Republic in August.
Winning top honors in the judging on February 9th were Rita Shulak, Sibylla Voll, Ellie Havel Thomas, David Schlegel, Lois Athearn and Charles Dozer. Two alternates were also chosen, Christine Ames and Diane O’Connell. The show was juried by Julie Weaverling of Front Porch Gallery.
A collaborative venture of CSCA and C.O.A.L. answered the invitation from Petr Kulhanek, the Honorable Lord Mayor of Karlovy Vary, to have an International Art Exchange take place between the two sister cities.
C.O.A.L. artists were invited to enter the competition. There was an enthusiastic response, according to CSCA Director Jacquie Thye, who coordinated this wonderful cultural event.
The art will be on display in the heart of this world-renowned spa city during the month of August. Karlovy Vary, located near Prague, draws visitors to its many international festivals.
All of the artists were excited to learn they were chosen and hope to go to Karlovy Vary in person for the opening of the exhibition.
Karlovy Vary artists will then send their art work to Carlsbad in June 2016. It will be exhibited at the C.O.A.L. Gallery and it is hoped several artists will visit as well.
Next year marks the 25th anniversary of the Carlsbad-Karlovy Vary International Sister City relationship.
XX. Celebration of Carlsbad's Arbor Days
Carlsbad Sister City Ambassadors was pleased to pay tribute to the 25th year of our relationship with Futtsu, Japan by planting cherry trees at the Carlsbad City Hall and the La Costa Heights Elementary School in April. One of our directors, Vesta Rundle-Ross, was instrumental in getting the trees from the Japanese Friendship Gardens in San Diego. Three of the trees were planted on the City Hall property as part of Carlsbad's Arbor Day at 11:00 a.m., April 26, 2014. Also a plaque was installed at the site stating that the trees honor our Sister City relationship with Futtsu. Longtime friend and resident of Futtsu Tomiko Takenouchi and Daiji Mizota, Director, Futtsu International Relationship Association, traveled from Futtsu to attend. A fourth tree was planted in a separate ceremony at La Costa Heights Elementary School earlier on April 23. This was the school that was visited by the Futtsu delegation to acknowledge their collection of funds to help in the recovery from the tsunami damages of 2011.
XXI. Karlovy Vary, Czech Republic and Futtsu, Japan Visits
The Carlsbad Sister City Ambassadors is pleased to have hosted the Lord Mayor Petr Kulhanek with his Deputies Petr Bursík and Jiří Klsák from our sister city Karlovy Vary in the Czech Republic. This was the Lord Mayor's first visit to Carlsbad. The week before, CSCA hosted the delegation from Futtsu, Japan comprised of Mrs. Tomiko Takenouchi, Mr. Shigeru Takenouchi, Mrs. Kiyoe Hasegawa along with students Woohyun An, Kana Morita, Yuuna Iwasawa, and Yuuya Matsuda.